The Sickle Cell Disease Ontology (SCDO) project is a collaboration between H3ABioNet (Pan African Bioinformatics Network) and SPAN (Sickle Cell Disease Pan African Network).
The purpose of the SCDO is to:
- establish community standardized SCD terms and descriptions.
- establish canonical and hierarchical representation of knowledge on SCD.
- link to other ontologies and bodies of work such as DO, PhenX MeSH, ICD, NCI’s thesaurus, SNOMED and OMIM.
Once complete, we anticipate that the ontology will:
- be the most comprehensive collection of knowledge in the SCD.
- facilitate exploration of new scientific questions and ideas.
- facilitate seamless data sharing and collaborations including meta-analysis within the SDC community.
- support the building of databasing and clinical informatics in SCD.